Animal Care and CQA
Help for Alberta Employers
Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
Here is the link to the federal TFWP which outlines all the requirements and precise steps that must be followed in applying for an LMIA and getting approval to hire a worker from outside of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers.html
The link for the Agriculture Stream used to hire skilled swine workers can be accessed here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/agricultural.html
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
Here is the link to the LMIA for Agriculture Stream: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/fi-if/index.jsp?app=prfl&frm=emp5519&lang=eng
Click here to find the current swine worker wage rates for high and low skilled workers under the various commodities (Swine) in the Agriculture Stream. Note that this wage must be used for in all advertising and job offers in meeting the TFW program requirements.
Retaining Workers: Staying in Canada
Live Permanently in Canada
In April 2021, the Government of Canada announced new pathways to permanent residency for TFWs. Learn more.
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)
Training and Education
Click here to learn about federal training programs, information on education, training, financial assistance and the skills you need to find and keep a job
Green Certificate Program
Operated by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry the Green Certificate Program offers a Swine Farrow to Finish Technician (Level 1) on-farm-training and testing program. Contact Alberta Agriculture and Forestry, Green Certificate Program to get your workers on a training plan.
Many post-secondary institutions programs in many agriculture fields including pork production and business:
- Lakeland College Vermilion
- Medicine Hat College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
- Southern Alberta institute of Technology (SAIT)
- Grande Prairie Regional College
- Grande Prairie Regional College in Fairview (GRPC in Fairview)
- Keyano College Ft. McMurray
- College of Agriculture and Bioresources - University of Saskatchewan
For New Canadian Workers
- CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program) General Test (English)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) General Test English
Hauling manure on Alberta roads requires operators to pay close attention to highway safety, road infrastructure and the environment. Learn more:
On-Farm Energy Programs
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry has on-farm energy programs that could benefit you:
- On-Farm Solar Photovoltaics Program (OFSPP): This program provides funding towards solar photovoltaics on Alberta farms.
- Farm Energy and Agri-Processing Program (FEAP): This program shares costs with the agriculture and agri-processing sector on energy efficiency investments.